The Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2012
It’s perhaps one of the most interesting awards to enter; prestigious to win as the works are hung at the National Portrait Gallery, yet one of the most difficult & expensive to enter, as prints are required, complete with protective sleeves. As large print sizes are needed (your entry will be the print that is hung if you win), having anything smaller than A2 in size means your work may simply not be noticed by the judges, compared to huge prints entered by others which may dwarf smaller prints. In this day and age of conservation, it can be quite a wasteful effort putting together six A1 (or bigger) images purely for judging.
Past years have brought surprising results in images chosen and sometimes shocking winners. It is though a great competition and generally always shows off some great work.
Alas it is a competition that I failed to get selected for, and after being requested by friends to do so, here I share my six entries into this year’s Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2012 .
Portraits of Armenian singer Charles Aznavour in his suite at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in New York, NY, USA, ahead of an event by the Fund For Armenian Relief (FAR); 20 Years Of Armenian Independence Honoring Mr Aznavour. May 20, 2011. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
- Grandmother for the first time. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
- Knife violence in Glasgow, Scotland. Victim of a stabbing in the neck, quadriplegic Scott Breslin (26). He was stabbed when 16 and has spent his life in a wheelchair, paralysed from the neck down. February 10, 2011. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
- The businessman. A heavy downpour of rain soaks pedestrians as they pass an illuminated advertising sign saying “Love Your Job”. Hammersmith, London. January 14, 2011. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
- Photographer Jeff Moore in Downing Street, ahead of a visit by US President Barack Obama. London. April 24, 2011. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
- Virgin Atlantic celebrate the launch of their flights to Vancouver. Fairmont Pacific Rim cocktail reception. Sir Richard Branson, founder and President of Virgin Atlantic Airways and members of the cabin crew. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. May 25, 2012. Photo: Edmond Terakopian