My Six Portraits
It’s that time of year (well, a few weeks ago now!) when the Taylor Wessing Portrait Award shortlist is announced and sadly, I didn’t make the shortlist. However, friends ask to see the images I entered, so thought to share them far and wide.
The good news though is that several colleagues have been selected and for the first time in years, I’m really looking forward to the exhibition and the announcement of the winning image.
Gordon Ramsay’s Union Street Cafe, 47-51 Great Suffolk Street, Southwark, London SE1. Gordon Ramsay at the restaurant. August 30, 2013. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
Magnum photographer René Burri at his book signing in the Photographers’ Gallery book shop, Ramillies Street, London. April 24, 2013. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
Portrait of a model. Olympus OM-D E-M1 Test Shot with the Olympus 75mm f1.8 lens. Castle Leslie, Glaslough, Ireland. September 10, 2013. Photo: ©Edmond Terakopian
A portrait of former MP and Minister Tony McNulty, who is hoping to stand again as an MP.. London. September 20, 2013. Photo: ©Edmond Terakopian
Andrea Feczko (American TV Presenter and digital content creator. http://www.andreafeczko.com), on Santa Monica beach. LA, USA. January 14, 2014. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
Harrow and Wembley Society of Model Engineers, Roxbourne Park Railway, Field End Road, Ruislip, Middlesex. A driver waits for passengers on his locomotive. April 02, 2014. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
Do you have a favourite image? Would love to know your thoughts!
The Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2012
It’s perhaps one of the most interesting awards to enter; prestigious to win as the works are hung at the National Portrait Gallery, yet one of the most difficult & expensive to enter, as prints are required, complete with protective sleeves. As large print sizes are needed (your entry will be the print that is hung if you win), having anything smaller than A2 in size means your work may simply not be noticed by the judges, compared to huge prints entered by others which may dwarf smaller prints. In this day and age of conservation, it can be quite a wasteful effort putting together six A1 (or bigger) images purely for judging.
Past years have brought surprising results in images chosen and sometimes shocking winners. It is though a great competition and generally always shows off some great work.
Alas it is a competition that I failed to get selected for, and after being requested by friends to do so, here I share my six entries into this year’s Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2012 .
Portraits of Armenian singer Charles Aznavour in his suite at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in New York, NY, USA, ahead of an event by the Fund For Armenian Relief (FAR); 20 Years Of Armenian Independence Honoring Mr Aznavour. May 20, 2011. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
- Grandmother for the first time. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
- Knife violence in Glasgow, Scotland. Victim of a stabbing in the neck, quadriplegic Scott Breslin (26). He was stabbed when 16 and has spent his life in a wheelchair, paralysed from the neck down. February 10, 2011. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
- The businessman. A heavy downpour of rain soaks pedestrians as they pass an illuminated advertising sign saying “Love Your Job”. Hammersmith, London. January 14, 2011. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
- Photographer Jeff Moore in Downing Street, ahead of a visit by US President Barack Obama. London. April 24, 2011. Photo: Edmond Terakopian
- Virgin Atlantic celebrate the launch of their flights to Vancouver. Fairmont Pacific Rim cocktail reception. Sir Richard Branson, founder and President of Virgin Atlantic Airways and members of the cabin crew. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. May 25, 2012. Photo: Edmond Terakopian